Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Tiled Entryways in Jerez

Southern Spain was ruled by the Moors for over 700 years until the end of the 15th century. There are several cities in Andalusia where one can see magnificent works of Moorish architecture. Jerez is not among them, to my knowledge. But there are traces of the Moorish past in Jerez. I noticed immediately, for example, that the entryways to many residences are beautifully tiled in the Moorish style.

I cannot explain why these captured my attention so vividly, but they did. Maybe it's because they are beautiful. Maybe it's because I am an obsessive person. Whatever the case may be, I want to share some photos of these tiled entryways, because I like them. So yes, there is nothing about food or wine in this post. If that bothers you, have a snack or a small glass of Fino while looking at the photos.

This entryway was tiled.

This one also was tiled.

This one too.

This one is not unusual, in that it was tiled.

At this point, you cannot be surprised about the tiles in this entryway.

What, you thought there'd be no tiles?

Tiled fireplace of old? A baker sells bread through that window.

Here, a tiled entryway.

Tiled entryway with rug.

The designer here chose tiles for the entryway.

This concludes this series. Notice that all of the entryways are tiled.

No comments: